Seeing Through The Eyes of a Child -1 Corinthians 13:11


“When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things”

When you look into the eyes of a child, it doesn't take a special kind of person to see their innocence, imagination and wonder. Every child, no matter what part of the world they come from or what language they speak, pretends, believes, and has irrational fears. One minute she may be a princess in a fairytale, the next, he may pretend to be an astronaut on a special mission or set up a special booby trap to capture the monster that lives in his closet. With such gigantic imaginations and inquisitive spirits, have you ever stopped to wonder or even question them about what their idea of God is like?

When our children ask us what God looks like, that can be a hard question to answer. It is one of those questions where the answers will just be followed by other question because there are no satisfying answers. If they ask to see a picture of God and you say there is no picture of God, they will want to know why there is no picture of God. Then if you say something like we are not supposed to see pictures of God, they will want to know why we're not supposed to.
Children have a way of reminding us of things once forgotten; ironically, these little things are usually the tools most essential in understanding and seeing life for what it truly is.

When I was a child, I don't remember having any visual thoughts of God. Instead, I thought of him as some kind of force all around me that I had to believe in if I wanted him to be proud of me. When I was about six years old I wrote a letter to God, thanking him for my family and everything else that he blessed me with; I always wanted to make sure I pleased him. My mother would always tell me to pray and encourage me to do the right things; and whenever I was afraid or thought I couldn't do something, she always told me to pray about it and have faith.
Whether we are children or were once children, we are all Children of God. With that said, I feel that it is most important for us to follow the examples of children in some ways. For them we should be model examples of the future just as they are the perfect reminders of our past.

This theory thus poses a couple of other more important questions; how do most adults see God? And, which way is accurate in conjunction with the fact that we are all the "children of God"? As adults, it is often hard for us to imagine what can possibly be going on inside of those precious little minds. Even though we were once in those same exact shoes, there comes a point in our lives were the majority of us become blinded with reality; or maybe I should say blinded from reality. It is hard to determine which one it is, but try to think back to when you were a child, when your parents helped you say your prayer before tucking you in at night; what was your vision of God?